Monday, September 12, 2011

Pineapple Mousse Cake


I wanted to make something different and light for my husband's b'day this year and after much thought I decided on pineapple mousse cake.
This cake is made with low fat frozen yogurt(natural flavour) so it's not as heavy as it looks.
Over 2 years ago, Fathima had given me a lovely recipe she had found in a local magazine for strawberry mousse cake. I never tried it but hoped to some day. 
I finally decided to try it for my husband's b'day but I dint have the main ingredients at home so I altered the ingredients with what I had at home and made this lovely Pineapple Mousse cake instead.
There is very little preparation time and cooking time that goes into making the cake. However, you will have to refrigerate it for a minimum of 4 hours so it sets well.
To make this deliciously easy cake you will need
Preparation time - 15 minutes
Cooking time - 10 minutes
Needs to be refrigerated for 4 hours to set
Serves 6-8 people
Ingredients
For cake
2 eggs
50g sugar
50g plain flour
1 tbsp coco powder(unsweetened)
1 tsp baking powder
For Pineapple mousse
200g low fat frozen yoghurt (natural flavoured)
1 tin pineapples(slices or pieces)
1 packet pineapple jelly
1 tsp vanilla essence
75ml boiling water
Special equipment required to make this cake
Lose base cake tin/ springform cake tin 
Method
  • Pre heat oven to 200 degrees C. Grease and line the cake tin.
  • Using an electric hand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until creamy and thick. This will take around 5-7 minutes.
  • Fold in sifted flour and mix well. Then quickly add the sifted coco powder and baking powder and mix.
  • Pour the prepared cake batter into the lined and greased cake tin and bake for 10 minutes. 
  • Remove and let it cool. Transfer the cake onto a serving plate and replace outer ring.
I did not set the cake on a plate. I set it on the base of the cake tin but you can set it on a plate as shown above. Your cake base is now ready.
  • For the mousse, drain out the syrup from the pineapple tin and purée the pineapple into a paste. You can retain 1-2 slice for decoration purposes. Transfer this purée to a mixing bowl and add the frozen yoghurt and vanilla essence to this and mix well.
  • Add 75ml boiling water to the pineapple jelly crystals and mix until the crystals are dissolved. Pour the jelly mixture into the yoghurt mix and stir well. Pour this onto the chocolate cake and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours.
  • After 4 hours loosen the sides of the mousse with a blunt knife and remove the the outer ring. Decorate in anyway you like. I used chocolate shavings and pineapple pieces.
Serve Chilled!


Notes

  1. The original recipe for the mousse used 200g low fat cream fraiche, 500g puréed strawberries, 50g sugar, 1 tsp vanilla essence and 4 heaped tsps gelatin dissolved in 75ml hot water. I replaced it with low fat frozen yogurt, jelly(which included sugar and fruit in it) and for an extra fruity taste I added puréed pineapple.
  2. The chocolate cake absorbed too much water the next day, this was probably because of extra water content. The puréed pineapples can be left out since the flavour will be added in the jelly anyway.
  3. If frozen yoghurt is not available to you locally you may replace it with 200g vanilla ice cream. For a low fat alternative you can use low fat cream fraiche as the original recipe states. Natural yoghurt can also be hung in a cheese cloth overnight and used the next day after all its water is drained out.
  4. I had made the mousse cake with cream fraiche as well using strawberry jelly instead of puréed strawberries and gelatin. That turned out great and the cake dint absorb water as the water content was just fine. Though, I must add that everyone who tasted both the flavours preferred the pineapple mousse made with yoghurt. Here's a pic of the strawberry mousse cake I made

Shabnam






8 comments:

  1. WOW! D STRAWBERRY LOOKS DELICIOUS U KNOW I LOVE D FLAVOUR OF STRAWBRRY THOUGH U SAY D PINEAPPLE WAS BETTER I TIHNK D STRAWBERRY LOOKS VERY GOOD TOO WISH I CLD ALSO HAVE IT .U SURE R BAKING VERY WELL NOW KEEP IT UP N I AM SURE MUBIN MUST HAVE HAD A LOVELY TIME WITH TWO LOVELY CAKES MADE BY U !!I M SO PROUD OF U KEEP IT UP !

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! this looks lipsmackingly delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww.....yayy mousse cake!...i guess another great birthday for mubin b :) which flavour did zia like? is she a pinky pink fan like her mammy? so guess what?..my parents bought me a microwave for my birthday...i can FINALLY try out all ur baked recipes...yayyy...and i know its really late...but big belated happy birthday to mubin B!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mom....Thank you. Yes I'm sure you would have loved the strawberry more than the pineapple just like Zia did : )
    he enjoyed both the cakes : )

    @AK...Thank you so much : )

    @Sk....Yup! gr8 b'day. will convey ur wishes. Zia insisted on having only the PINK CAKE. lol. yay!microwave. happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the cakes were delicious and colours were great...far better than captured in the pics...will certainly try using jelly instead of gelatine:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Fathims : )
    jelly is an easier option and as you said gives a better colour

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely delicious.. Yummmmmmy!!
    First time to your space:-))
    Do drop by my space too Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Julie : )
    Will definitely drop by sometime

    ReplyDelete

addthis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...